Sauerkraut cake ( don't knock it till you try it!). Even the kids want it for their birthday cake. I baked it for one of our family gatherings and now, I get lots of requests for it too. Yes, this cake is made with beets!
Sauerkraut, a traditional German fermented cabbage, isn't just a delicious hot dog topping or stuffing for Reuben sandwiches. It contains probiotics (those same ones found in yogurt), which help maintain healthy stomach functions, so eat up! Break out a beer stein and your lederhosen to prepare these. You can have Sauerkraut cake ( don't knock it till you try it!) using 6 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Sauerkraut cake ( don't knock it till you try it!)
- Prepare 1 box of devils food cake or your favorite recipe..
- You need 1 box of instant chocolate pudding.
- It’s 1 of eggs water and oil according to the box or recipe.
- You need 8 oz of sauerkraut rinsed and squeezed dry.
- Prepare 1 cup of walnuts chopped small.
- You need 1/2 packages of 10 oz package of semi sweet chocolate chips.
It's made just the way my mother-in -law has made it for years. I never buy store sauerkraut anymore! I am an old farmer from 'way back and have made my own kraut for years. This is the way I make it, except I don't use a crock, but pack the shredded cabbage directly into wide-mouth quart jars.
Sauerkraut cake ( don't knock it till you try it!) step by step
- Pre heat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour a 13×9 in pan.
- mix all ingredients in a bowl..
- Poor in pan.
- Bake 3o- 35 minutes depending on your oven.
- Take out oven and let cool.
- Frost when cool I like using peanut butter frosting..
- Enjoy with a glass of milk..
Pack the sauerkraut: Place a wide-mouth funnel in the mouth of the jar. Pack the mixture into the jar, pressing down to squeeze out as much air and release Ferment the sauerkraut: Cover the jar with a clean towel, and allow to stand at room temperature. Check daily to make sure the cabbage is still. Look, cake does not wiggle in a way that delights the young and old. Colorful, jiggly, and shiny molded jello can be a playful dessert for family gatherings or beautiful centerpieces to bridal showers, hip happy hours, or even fancy dinner parties.